Hi Magpies, Julie back with you again today & sharing more layouts using mixed media. Since I did my last blogpost the shop have had more mixed media products in, the Jane Davenport collection, which seems to be more art based but great to use on layouts & planners also.
My first page ‘Sparkle & Shine’ came about from a challenge to use that large Sparkle word. At our CT retreat, fellow team mate Jo challenged use all to use a large word, out of a pack she’d brought along with her & so I took up that challenge. I first added a few different colours of Vicki Boutin Acrylic paints, through a stencil, onto black cardstock, I think the black really makes the colours pop. I distressed the edges of the cardstock & added it to a sheet of blue & yellow ombre paper from my stash. I made a photo cluster using a doily, Vicki Boutin tag & a freckled Fawn arrow clip & added it on the top right of the page. I adhered the ‘sparkle’ word next to it & finished the title with a wooden ampersand & a Bella Blvd white acrylic word. I then ‘hung’ the small lightbulbs from the title, having already backed them in vellum & added a small star sequin to each one.
My second page is called ‘Hello Manhattan’ I’ve just recently come back from the states & while looking on Pinterest, as we all do!!!! I kept seeing these great artwork prints you could buy off Esty, etc. After looking at them more closely I was convinced I could give it a go & make my own. I chose a skyline cut file, off the silhouette store, & cut it out, so it went all across the page & added the words ‘Hello Manhattan’ to the top. Then using a clean sheet of watercolour paper I got inky & messy with the new Jane Davenport watercolor set in brights, adding it in lots of lovely colours, making sure I dried inbetween, so as not to blend & letting it run & adding splatters. Then using the negative part of the cut file I backed the words with black cardstock & added it over the top of my painting. I added 3 small photos, to the bottom left, on some papers out the Jane Davenport paper pad & added a bit of ripped washi, again from Jane Davenport, to the photo cluster & the very top of the layout.
My final layout ‘Wings are made to Fly’ is using the fab reactive tissue from Vicki Boutin. You all really need this in your life, it’s so much fun. I started by cutting out different sized butterflies on my silhouette on watercolour paper & then placed them, randomly, onto another piece of watercolour paper off to the right. I ripped up bits of the tissue, in the colours I wanted, & put them all in a bowl. You then spray your paper, with the butterflies on. I used quiet a bit of water but because you’re using watercolour paper it can withstand this. I then laid down the tissue paper, using all the colours, onto the wet paper with the butterflies on, because you’ve wet your page the tissue sticks & then you spray it again over the top. As you are doing it you can see the colour leaking out of the tissue & colouring your page. I used a heat gun to speed up the process & you’re left with a messy background & beautifully coloured butterflies. The page came together quickly after that. Because of how busy the right side of the page was I added a strip of torn white paper on the left side adding a piece of paper from the Jane Davenport paper pack, some ruffled crepe paper & some pom pom fringing. I added my coloured butterflies back on the right side & sewed over them with my sewing machine. I made a layered photo cluster & added it on top of the largest butterfly. My title was cut on my silhouette & coloured with the reactive tissue & added above the photo. To finish I added a few splatters, a few wooden buttons from Shimelle ‘little by little’ & a few puffy heart stickers from Bella Blvd.
I hope you have enjoyed my ramblings & I’ll be back with you next month
Until next time xoxo